Your work environmentThe Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.https://www.list.lu/ You will be part of the LIST Environmental Research and Innovation departmentThe Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control. The department relies on two cutting-edge platforms, the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform and the Observatory for the Climate and the Environment, and the GreenTech Innovation Centre (GTIC): a one-stop-shop for the complete development of bio-based products and processes. Within the ERIN department, the ‘Environmental Sensing and Modelling’ (ENVISION) unit contributes to this mission by carrying out impact-driven research, geared towards monitoring, forecasting and predicting environmental systems in a changing world. An interdisciplinary team of around 50 scientists, engineers, post-docs and PhD candidates is developing new environmental process understanding, alongside new tools and technologies – operating at unprecedented spatial and temporal scales. With a view to strengthen its activities in global change related research, LIST is offering a permanent position for an experienced software engineer that will support the software development activities in the fields of hydrology, meteorology, vegetation, and agricultural systems research. Embedded into the ENVISION unit, the ‘Remote sensing and natural resources modelling’ research group capitalizes on a blend of remote sensing data obtained from space- and air-borne platforms, as well as in-situ measured data (collected from heterogeneous IoT devices), for producing information on the status of natural resources for public and private stakeholders.
What you will be doingThe successful candidate will contribute to RDI projects through:
- Active collaboration with the research groups of the ENVISION unit to improve our products, and create new efficient solutions for public and private sectors.
- Professional software development, including aspects related to code maintenance, static program analysis, and documentation.
- Write well-designed, testable code and perform code reviews in close collaboration with the environmental scientists.
- Development of new and extension of existing parallel scientific software tools.
- Porting, profiling, and tuning software to various HPC systems and architectures.
- Support the research groups across the ENVISION unit to implement software frameworks for model interoperability and integrate software components into fully functional software systems.
- Active participation in the software development life cycle, e.g. requirement analysis (user needs), design (documenting how to deliver the required functionalities), development-integration-testing (convert design in complete software & demonstrate product fits requirements), implementation (resolution of identified problems), documentation, disposition.
- Maintain state-of-the-art expertise in the field of software development.
- Contribute to the development of partnerships and networks at national and international levels.
Moreover, the successful candidate will contribute to the dissemination, valorisation and transfer of RDI results via:
- Software licensing.
- Participation in the drafting of technical reports, scientific articles, patents and inventions.
- Participation in the implementation of technological solutions (proofs of concepts, prototypes).
MUST HAVE REQUIREMENTSWhich profile we are looking for
- Master in Computer Science, Informatics or similar, Master in Earth sciences, atmospheric sciences, or related fields with required expertise in programming
- At least 5 years working experience as a software developer
- Demonstrated proficiency in parallel programming in Python, Fortran, C, C++, Java and shell scripting
- Familiarity with scientific data formats such as netCDF
- Experience in HPC (including heterogeneous architectures)
- Profiling and performance optimization of parallel programs
- Algorithm and software solution development in UNIX and Windows environments
- Proven experience of tools for professional source code management, continuous integration, version control, testing, code reliability, application security and writing software documentation. Basic knowledge of testing frameworks for at least one programming language (pytest, junit for example)
- Basic to Good knowledge of code-quality measurements
- Experience with established web application frameworks is an asset
- Experience with software coupling infrastructures in a geosciences environment is considered as an asset
- Experience with popular web application frameworks is an asset
- Communicative and willing to learn, self-organized, and creative
- Service oriented towards our clients and team members
To be considered for this position it is crucial that you have knowledge of the following languages
EnglishRead C1Write C1Speak C1
The following languages are optional but are considered a plus.
FrenchRead B2Write B2Speak B2GermanRead B2Write B2Speak B2Luxembourgish; LetzeburgeschRead B2Write B2Speak B2MINIMUM REQUIREDEDUCATION
REQUIRED WORK EXPERIENCEIN YEARS
5 or more years
DETAILSEMPLOYMENT TYPEFull-TimeCONTRACT TYPEPermanent contractLOCATIONCOUNTRYLuxembourgCITYBelvaux